Sunday, January 5, 2014

Life

My, oh, my.  I must admit being home is driving me nuts.  This adjustment period is hard.  Why, you ask?  Let me count the ways:

  1. When I woke up in the morning for work, I just piled my little ones in the car and handed them off to the sitter.  Now, I have wake up before them, so my attitude for the day has a chance.  (Trust me.. it is much better to CHOOSE to wake up than to be woken up by a little four-year-old’s face in the morning, no matter how cute that face is.)
  2. It also means that I have to play squinkies.  Which I did to myself.  When I gave them to her for her birthday.  (Oh, you don’t know what squinkies are?  Neither did I until I found them at a used kids store.  They are very tiny rubber characters.  I gifted her with Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Ariel.  Seriously, what was I thinking!?!)  My imagination is seriously lacking.  My ability to stay alert when playing with them is also lacking.  It is a daily (hourly?) battle to say “yes” when she asks.
  3. It is just plain tough.  I would venture to say harder than teaching because I lack control of exactly what we will do each day when I am home.  I am not saying that I lack control (although sometimes I think that is true, too.)  I am saying I am not in charge of each thing we will do because, honestly, they are better at finding fun things to do than I am.
  4. It means that I have less of an excuse for the way our house looks.  I am pretty sure that it had been well over a month before I had managed to clean anything.  I mean, I am not sure I had even swept.  So, my first weekend off work, I put the kids down and I started to pick things up.  It took almost 2 hours! to pick up all the random things that were everywhere – and that was just the main floor!  The next morning, I woke up early and mopped, vacuumed, and dusted.  And it was AWESOME…. for about a day.  And I feel like we are slowly slipping back into the abyss.  Perhaps, I will schedule a day to clean this week…
  5. It means I have to learn to juggle my playing time with my working time.  Yep, for those who don’t realize it, stay-at-home-moms do have work to do.  It is called cleaning, getting groceries, cooking, bill paying, laundry, etc.  Yep, I know, all you working moms do this to; I’ve been one of those as well.  The difference is that if you work, you cram it in on the weekends and maybe the evenings, and hopefully, you get help from your hubby.  (I did.)  However, when you stay at home, you feel like it is part of the job, and I am pretty sure that your husband assumes it is part of your job and he is off the hook.  So, now, you have to figure out how to play with the kids and do all that work that has become your sole responsibility.  Either way, it is a hard thing being a mom.

On a positive note…

  1. It means that you have time to play with your kids.  I don’t just have the “maybe” hour that comes after we get home and before I start dinner to play – it is “maybe” because we may have to do an errand or fit in some housework or start supper earlier than normal.  I have the whole day (*see #5 above) to play and not feel as stressed that they are neglected.
  2. It means that we can do fun things – go to the library for story time, get together with friends, pop in to see grandma and grandpa, etc.  I am also excited about some of the new games they got for Christmas.  I enjoy playing games, and I think this will be good for us.  
  3. It means I can breathe.  I have a bit of peace during the day called nap time that I never had while I was teaching.  I can use this to read, watch TV, do housework, blog, prep supper, nap, etc.  It is an hour (sometimes a bit longer) of peace and quiet in the middle of an otherwise loud day.  I don’t know what your kids are like, but mine – they talk and sing and ask questions without ceasing.  If you don’t believe me, just ask anyone who has been over to our house for any amount of time; they will confirm it.  Truth be told, they get it honestly –from me; just ask Jeremy, he’ll tell you.  (Or, note the length of this blog, which technically IS talking, just in a different way.)  Still, peace and quiet at nap time is good for the soul.
  4. It means that I have more moments to sit and watch and laugh.  Moments that you can just take in, enjoy, and relax because you don’t have to move so quickly to get it all done.  Just a few glimpses…

This was Ellie the other day while we were sitting in the office.  I think she likes Madison’s play glasses as much as Madison does!

DSC_3068

Or dress up sister moments (these are with Jeremy’s phone and are a little blurry, but they still speak volumes.)

IMG_1737IMG_1747

Or being fine with a Sunday afternoon drive to hunt down a snowy owl that was at one point in the morning sitting on a fence post near an Amish schoolhouse.  We didn’t find the snowy owl, but we did have fun as the girls looked out the windows with the binoculars.  Jeremy brought Ellie and I home for a nap (for both of us) and took Madison back out hunting.  They saw this…

DSC_3072        and this…     DSC_3077   They even went to the Wilderness Center to sit and watch the birds…  DSC_3078    But no snowy owl.  It is out there, and maybe we have time for another wild owl chase!

Well, this was a longer post (at least wordier) than normal.  If you made it to the end, thanks for reading.  Perhaps, I will be able to spend a little more time blogging now.  Although, I will be starting a grad class tomorrow, and I do have a house to clean, oh, and a Christmas (?) letter to write and send out, and … well, you get the point.  I am sure you all feel this way at times.  I hope you find those moments where you can sit and soak it all in.  Take care.

No comments: