Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Garden of Eden

Our yard turned into the Garden of Eden a few nights ago.  It was a hot day – sunshine, humidity.  The girls were excited because I had promised them that they could play in the sandbox with water!  That has been unheard of because it has been too cool to do this.  After naps, I hauled water buckets, sand toys, and two very excited girls out to the sand box.  I was going to sit there and just watch as they played, but the tall grass beckoned me to mow it.  They were content for the entire time, plus the time it took to make supper.  It was great!  Jeremy hosed them down outside, and that is when the magic happened :)  Our own Garden of Eden – where there was no shame… and a few cute little tushes!

DSC_3457    DSC_3459

A few days later, they helped Jeremy plant some flowers.  People ask if I garden or plant flowers.  My answer is a resounding, “No, but Jeremy does.”  It is something that he enjoys doing.  I try to keep things alive once they are planted.  This year, I am going to try to weed the garden more frequently, and maybe even can/freeze something… maybe.  The girls enjoy helping Daddy out in the garden or with the planting projects. 

DSC_3471 DSC_3472

On Monday, the rains came down in waves all day long.  While we were eating a late lunch, it poured.  I really wish that we had finished lunch in time to just send them out to play in the rain, but we were a little slow that day.  Instead, after we finished, I sent them out to play in the puddles before nap time.  This time, they could play in all the puddles except the giant mud puddle in our neighbors driveway.  They had a blast running and jumping in the leftover rain.  They had picked out matching dresses that day, and even though I am not a matchy-matchy person, it was pretty cute to watch them play together in the same outfit.  Here are some of my favorite pictures…

Madison’s chance to shine…

DSC_3488DSC_3489

Ellie’s chance to shine…

DSC_3476     DSC_3475

Where you go I will follow…

DSC_3480    DSC_3487

And where you jump, I will jump…

DSC_3477     DSC_3495

Sisters…

DSC_3479     DSC_3492DSC_3493

Their “monster” faces…

DSC_3496

I am not sure what it is with puddles and kids and pictures.  I take a lot more pictures while they play in the puddles.  I think it must be the unabashed joy that is displayed as the hop, run, dance, and splash.  If we could bottle that up for a bad day, it would do wonders for the soul.  Maybe just glancing back at the blog will do it for me. 

I hope you all fare well with this crazy weather we have been having.  The rain puddles remind me that good can come from the storms.  I know that others have had more than just rain puddles, and I will continue to pray for towns that are hard hit.  Until next time…

2 comments:

DeeDee said...

The next time they have to go down to the basement because of tornado warnings just tell them that if there wasn't rain there wouldn't be any puddles to jump!!
Thanks for the joy this brought to my soul -- I love those little girls (and their Mom)!!!

MOM

DeeDee said...

Just noticed the flower in the hair at Garden of Eden -- nice effect. Looks like the little one is really putting on the speed to get away from the spray of the hose. What fun!!!

MOM