Monday, October 20, 2014

Around the House

So, the weather has been a bit dicey lately – cold, windy, rainy, sunny, warmer, muggy.  There have been some beautiful days in the mix to enjoy, and for that, I am thankful.  Random pictures/scenes from the last week or so. 

Leaf raking season has begun.  I suppose the only benefit to having no trees to speak of in our backyard is that we have very few leaves back there.  We do have a number of trees in the front/side to take care of.  Our neighbor, J., was on top of his leaves though, and the girls took advantage of the leaf pile.  They had a ball, and J. was very accommodating.

DSC_4160     DSC_4169DSC_4161

DSC_4167    DSC_4168DSC_4172

Our church was working on the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes last Wednesday night for our service project.  Although I have heard about this program, I had never participated.  I realized after doing it this year that Operation Christmas Child is a great thing to do with your kids.  We have our four boxes at home right now.  You can pay for shipping at home and get special labels to be able to track where your box goes.  I think we are going to do that.  We will have a little geography lesson and personalize our giving.  Pretty cool.I decided that I would take the girls along to help find items for our shoeboxes.  We purchased items for two girls and two boys at Dollar General.  (By the way, Dollar General has some stellar deals; if you haven’t been lately, you should check it out.)  Can I just say it is VERY hard for two little girls to shop for other children and walk away with nothing.  It was stressful for me… and for them.  There was a meltdown by all at one point.  They did get into as we progressed and stopped telling me they needed everything they touched. 

In the end, they ended up with snorkels (80 cents each) to play around with.  They put them to use immediately after arriving home; it was fun to watch them turn the kitchen floor into a swimming pool/ocean/body of water. 

DSC_4189     DSC_4193

DSC_4190     DSC_4192DSC_4191    DSC_4194

Next up around the house… biking.  Madison caught on to her two wheeler (with training wheels) sometime in late August.  It was pretty awesome to see her pedal down the sidewalk, and then all the way to the park and back – even making it up this hill right before our house!  Now, she can even go out biking by herself as long as she stays within a certain distance.  (I am so thankful she follows the rules without arguing or breaking them!)  These pictures are from August when she was showing her new skills to Grandma and Grandpa Yoh. 

IMG_1097     IMG_1102IMG_1099     IMG_1100

Ellie would try to use the tricycle in an attempt to imitate Madison.  She couldn’t hardly reach the pedals and had no concept what it meant to steer a trike.  Suddenly, she has figured it out.  I told Jeremy it feels like she decided one day to get on the tricycle and just ride.  As I think back, she did some training in the house as she amped up her use of the hot wheels inside… learning how to pedal and steer.  Now she is an avid tricycler.  She wants to be out on her trike at least once a day, and even rode to the park – with some help from the pusher stick (an old hockey stick that we can use so we don’t have to bend over to push her up hills). 

DSC_4197     DSC_4198

Even with this crazy weather, fall is my absolute favorite season.  It usually is cool and crisp.  It is beautiful.  The trees capture my attention more than the springtime flowers.  I don’t know it is just… refreshing.  So, on the dreary days, I will remember looking up and being able to see this:

DSC_4205

right in front of my house.  Thank you, God, for giving us such amazing sights!

1 comment:

DeeDee said...

Guess I've never really heard of snorkeling on the kitchen floor before -- what great imaginations those two girls have.
Love the pictures.
MOM E