Monday, June 29, 2015

Site #3: Child Care

I consider this a site because those that stayed to do this made it possible for others to do what they did.  There were 7 kids that came along, ages 3-9.  We set it up so that the moms of the three families stayed back 2 days to watch kids, and the dad’s stayed back one (Luke being an exception because he was the crew leader).  The rotation was as followed: Steph and I – Tuesday; Aaron and Jacqui – Wednesday; Steph and Jacqui – Thursday; Jeremy and I – Friday.  Each day had some experiences that made it unique.  Tuesday was probably the worst day; there was nothing planned, and we floundered around killing time.  We did go on a short hike,

DSC_0026    DSC_0030

discovered bear print and scat (we think),

DSC_0031

observed the moths,

DSC_0081

grampus or dobsonfly (this is not the one we caught, but it looks the same, if not a little smaller),

tumblr_m8i7wdjxXn1r9x4owo1_400

and millipedes that were caught (primarily by Sam),

 DSC_0024

constructing marble runs out of toilet paper tubes, and attempting a game of kickball. 

Wednesday, Aaron and Jacqui took the kids to a birthday party for Savannah a 10 year old on the mountain.  Her family is friends with the SWAP staff and had invited everyone to attend.  This was a good cultural experience for the kids, although I am pretty sure they just saw it as fun because they went to a birthday party and ate cake! 

IMG_4676     IMG_4678IMG_4675

Thursday, Steph and Jacqui took the kids to help Nicole (SWAP administrative volunteer alongside her husband) deliver popsicles to all the job site workers.  This allowed the kids to see the sites where everyone worked and explore a little.

DSC_0080     IMG_4684DSC_0078    IMG_4679DSC_0079

Friday, Jeremy and I started the day having the kids sort a random collection of screw, nails, and other misc fasteners.  These were donations from people wanting to be helpful; the difficulty is the tools are not useful unless they are sorted by type and size first, so that they can be found and used on project sites.  This was the kids servant project this week; we are only disappointed it did not materialize until the end of the week because we could have had them work on it each day.  The kids worked for about 45 minutes and sorted a lot!  Sam was the super worker and really enjoyed it.  Madison hung in with him for most of it.

DSC_0111   DSC_0113DSC_0114

In the afternoon, we rewarded them with a picnic in the park and swimming.  Aaron offered his family’s pool to us.  His mom invited us in, opened up the basement apartment for changing, bathrooms, etc.  And the kids played, laughed, and released energy.  It was a good, refreshing day to counter my first day!

DSC_0119     DSC_0122DSC_0124     DSC_0125DSC_0126 DSC_0129

Site #2: Ginger’s House

Ginger’s husband had begun home improvement projects before passing away.  Her house needed them done to live in normally.  The SWAP leader on this site was Jason.  The crew leader was John. 

IMG_8716    IMG_8738

Some of the projects: dry wall entire interior of the home

IMG_8749    IMG_8715IMG_8768   IMG_8780   IMG_4716IMG_8725 IMG_8730IMG_4728

and clean and stain kitchen cabinets. 

IMG_8727    IMG_8772

All this was accomplished while she was living there with all her things that needed moved to access the walls.  She was upbeat and grateful for the help, even while living in the chaos of the work.  Her grandmother would occasionally stop in, as did the granddaughters. 

IMG_8726   IMG_8779

Jeremy worked here for three days, Tuesday through Thursday.

Site #1: Christ’s Hands

Christ’s Hands is a four story brick building that houses a soup kitchen, emergency shelter, food pantry, and at one time a free clinic.  They work to meet needs in the community and be Christ’s hands and feet while doing it.  We were there primarily to help with a variety of maintenance and building improvement projects.  Our SWAP leader on site was Aaron.  Our crew leaders were Luke and Jim, and I would add Johanna as an honorary crew leader. 

DSC_0035    DSC_0043

There was a freight elevator that was fairly frightening if you were a first time user with slight claustrophobia.  It did get better the more we would use it.  After the first day, Ray was the elevator attendant so that people and supplies did not have long delays waiting for someone to bring the elevator up or down.

DSC_0038   DSC_0074

The week started anticipating putting a new metal roof on; due to a delay in roofing materials, we did a variety of other things.  This is a list of projects, but it is not a complete list: seal holes with tar on roof,

DSC_0061

add flashing to prevent leaks,

DSC_0048     DSC_0053

install two louvers and fans in the plenum (note all the technical terms I used in that one!),

DSC_0059     DSC_0060DSC_0055

vent bathroom sewer pipes, and hook up electrical. 

DSC_0045      DSC_0046     DSC_0057DSC_0058

In addition, there was opportunity to work with the food pantry and soup kitchen staff to: un-clump 50 lb bags of brown sugar, re-bag potatoes for distribution, carry in pantry supplies at drop-off, clean soup kitchen storage shelves, food prep for the evening meal,

DSC_0041     DSC_0042DSC_0069     DSC_0040

and move furniture to clear space for the possible homeless shelter. 

DSC_0036

It was a good week of work here with a lot of construction talent on our crew directing those with little knowledge, as well as Johanna heading up the soup kitchen interaction.  I worked here for two days, Wednesday and Thursday.