I’ll start with the bad… because there is just one thing, and I want to end on some good notes… Madison is three, and from all I have heard and have experienced, this is way worse than two! She took it to a new step in the past two days. She fights going to bed or naps. She cries, screams, says she isn’t tired, pounds on the door… she is relentless. It was at least 45 minutes last night; it was 45 minutes at nap time today. So, I read up on this phenomenon on the internet. Seems it isn’t so much of a phenomenon, more of a phase. So what advice was given… little, but pretty consistent – let them cry it out if you can. One practical piece I tried tonight – Leave the light on and the door cracked, but tell them to stay in their bed. The first time they come out, you turn out the light. The next time, you shut the door. So, I did that… with one additional step. I caved – oh so slightly – at her arm holding, tears streaming plea to please stay in the room and not leave her. I told her I would do my devotions (scripture and prayer) in her blue chair, BUT she had to stay in her bed with her head on her pillow. By the time I was done, the crying had ceased, her eyes had shut, and she was almost asleep. She woke as I stepped on a creak on the floor, but after I said good night again, she made no other sounds. It worked. For one night, it worked. And I’ll take it.
The good…
1) We had an outdoor worship service and congregational hang out last weekend. On Saturday evening, Madison went fishing with Jeremy for the first time, and they caught two fish. She thought that was pretty cool. They also played in the sand and waded in the lake/pool.
2) Madison has started telling knock-knock jokes. (I had to look them up online to refresh my memory.) Ellie says “knock-knock” too and laughs at the punch line. It is super cute!
3) The other day Madison spruced up her Barbie’s hair (named Grace after her friend Grace who has red, curly hair). It was a work of art. And I caught a beautiful smile on Madison’s face!
4) We have a sandbox with sand in it finally! The girls christened it today while I pulled weeds from our garden – that is growing!
5) My college roommate, Rachel, is in town from out of state with her two boys. It is good to reconnect.
That’s it, just thought I would throw a blog up here before I went weeks and weeks. Have a good night – and stay safe in all these storms that are headed our way.
No comments:
Post a Comment