Monday, December 16, 2013

Cookies, anyone?

I have two very good cookie bakers on my hands!  I can’t believe how well this year’s cookie production went.  We started on Sunday.  I mixed the dough up.  (After seeing how well it went, I wish I would have made a bigger batch.  There’s always next year.)  Sunday evening we worked on cutting them out.  Madison did pretty well; I just worked to coach her on cookie cutter placement.  The less  you reroll the dough, the better.  Ellie… well, she worked really hard and insisted on doing it all herself with “no help me.”  I tried to let her go at it, but she would only press the cutter down enough to start the cut, but not finish.  So, I took over on a few of hers. 

DSC_2770    DSC_2773DSC_2771     DSC_2774

They were very proud of all their work!

DSC_2775     DSC_2781DSC_2780     DSC_2779

Then, tonight, I broke out the sprinkles, whipped up some frosting – yellow, blue, green, and red, and I set them loose!  When I asked if they were excited to frost cookies, this was their response (imagine loud screaming as well).

DSC_2784

It was, really, pretty amazing to watch them focus on frosting them. 

DSC_2786     DSC_2787DSC_2792    DSC_2796

And then Madison finished her last cookie.

DSC_2800

And Ellie finished her last cookies, and I took the frosting….

DSC_2802

Then, we showed off our beautiful cookies, and all was well!

DSC_2803     DSC_2807

A few things I learned:

  • Ellie frosts with a light hand; Madison does not.
  • Both girls are able to resist the temptation to eat the frosting. 
  • Madison can resist frosting better than she can the temptation of eating cookie dough – like mother, like daughter!
  • This is a great way to entertain them.  I even got a salad made for supper in the middle of all this!
  • This is also a great way to get cookies frosting – a holiday task that I don’t really enjoy, but am happy that they do!

Just an FYI, this is the first of many posts.  A good many weeks have passed since my Thanksgiving blog, and I played catch-up for the past hour.  Enjoy the pictures and the stories.  What I learned?  It is not so super fun to play catch-up, but the end result IS satisfying. 

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas season.  I will be blogging before the new year.  I will not be getting a Christmas letter out before the new year; for those on our annual list (or want to be), it will be more of a Happy New Year or maybe even, Happy Valentine’s Day letter.  But just like these blogs, I promise that it will come! 

No comments: