Here’s to my girls – the ones who made me a mother! and to my own mother – I hope that when I am the lifeline to my girls, I have the energy, the time, and the love you have for me!
On Saturday, we invited both sets of our parents over for dinner. We had grilled hamburgers, brats, potato salad, baked beans, and grilled vegetable kabobs; we finished with strawberry shortcake. Beyond the food, our conversation was good, albeit broken up by children interjected “Watch this!” “Did you know___?” and more. But that is what the day is right? Celebrating that there are “littles” that make you a mother. They were great, dressed to a T, and full of energy. I have no pictures of this night. Unfortunate because they were adorable, and we all looked pretty decent. Another time…
For my family, we had much to celebrate. And I am so thankful for that. It is a rare thing to have a family who can be together and laugh, share, and play without too much conflict. I am thankful for the beautiful weather so the kids could be outside! I am thankful for a big table at my mom’s so we can all sit around it as adults to share stories. I am thankful for good health for myself so I could pass the volleyball with my niece and race (and lose to) my nephew. I am thankful for a mom (and dad) who value family time. I am thankful, and am not blind to my blessings. Some shots of the day (not a fair shake to all who were there…. I only brought the camera out when I wasn’t talking or playing volleyball.)
To all the mother’s out there – Happy Mother’s Day! I hope the day, for you, was filled with joy and good memories as you celebrated.
I thought also that morning about those for which Mother’s Day is hard. So, for the one who has lost a mother, the one who has lost a child, the one who longs to be a mother, and the one who experienced abuse from his/her mother… you are not forgotten. I remember the years when going to church on mother’s day was hard because I longed to be a mother. (This doesn’t even rival those who have that same longing and are struggling with infertility or miscarriages. Oh my, that would be so incredibly difficult.)
Blessings in the week ahead!
No comments:
Post a Comment