Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Better Post in February…

I told my mom that it had been forever since I posted… mid-January, if I remember correctly.  That was also the last time I had taken a picture using my regular camera and not just quick snapshots with my phone.  But it feels funny to let so much time pass and leave it so undocumented.  I would like my girls to come back here to be able to read about their history at some point.  Some people have asked if I had thought about printing this into a book for them.  Last I tried, it was complicated to format the pictures with the words; if anyone has wisdom in that area, feel free to let me know.  I suppose I could just print the words, but the pictures tell a story too.  (I am though one of those “old fashioned” people that still print 4x6 pictures to put in a photo album, so maybe the pictures are redundant.)  So, what has happened?  I feel like not a lot of super exciting life things necessarily, but there are some highlights:

Madison took gymnastics for the first time.  She was very excited to try it out.  Jeremy and I were very impressed with the way she listened to what she needed to do to improve and then made adjustments.  She should be a joy to coach someday.  She was also tenacious in improving.  She would come home and work on the skills she couldn’t quite do correctly.  So, the first night it was the bridge.  She worked all week on the bridge and improving her cartwheels.  Another week it was the headstand.  She is still working on this one, but is getting better at that.  Then, it was round-offs… slight variation on the cartwheel.  The bar was tricky because we couldn’t work on it at home, so she spent extra time while there flipping her body.  Her least favorite was probably the balance beam; I think it just didn’t seem “fun” or different enough.  Had she tried a cartwheel or something more challenging than walking, I think she may have liked it more.  She is not sure if she likes dance or gymnastics better.  Her next venture – softball!

Valentine’s Day…This is usually a bigger production at our house, but this year Jeremy was out of town that day and the day after and Madison had gymnastics on Valentine’s day.  So, we switched it the day before and it was kinda a rush job.  We had waffles, white sauce, strawberries, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream.  We didn’t get dressed up, which made the meal lose some of its specialness.  Next year, we will try to bring it back.  (This is me trying to take a picture with a selfie stick for the first time. Fail.)  I went to Madison’s class for her party.  She had a great time, especially coloring the robot craft.  Ellie loved her party – or should I say, the bag of candy and cards she came home with.  The fun lips are courtesy of Mrs. Douglas!  Jeremy bought me roses this year; he is incredibly thoughtful with flowers.   They have made our table more beautiful for the past week at least.



Surprise treat to the Smuckers store for ice cream sundaes.  The girls wanted to pose with the Pillsbury dough boy. 

Ellie also posed with the children at the library – a hit when she was little, and still a hit today.

Visiting the geese at The Barn.  Neither one of them completely relaxed during the visit with the animals.  (And honestly, neither did I.)

Hiking at the Wilderness Center.  This is always a good time.  I often forget how close we are to this gem.  This hike we kicked it off with a HUGE rat snake hanging out on the trail.  (Yes, it was alive.)  Madison sprinted as far as she could in the other direction.  Ellie jumped in my arms.  I don’t know how well you can see it in this pictures, but it was spectacular.

I have taken on the role of volunteer story time reader for a group of preschoolers at the local library.  It is pretty low pressure because the woman who does the other session of story time does all the prep work, so I just show up and read, sing, and do crafts.  I like the reading part.  I enjoy the singing part, but probably butcher whatever I am singing – but I do it enthusiastically! I don’t love the craft.  I am not good with preschoolers, glue, and stuff.  I am good with my own trying something in a controlled environment.  A group of 14 with 2 adults is a little much.  Kuddos to all the preschool teachers in schools and churches!  The theme is Safari and each week we talk about a new animal.  This is the photo spot in which Ellie is posing.  Super cute!
We also had random fun learning to cut up veggies for a salad (What age can kids use large knives?  5?  I thought you would agree!), singing on stage, and eating at the Mexican restaurant - with the really cool booth artwork that the girls love!
 

Our church dedicated a new space last month.  We had been working on an expansion fellowship hall – one that is accessible, modern, spacious, and provided room to grow and breathe a bit.  While not complete, it is looking good.  During the dedication portion, the congregation was asked to write their favorite scripture or one they thought was meaningful on the cement floor.  The concept was that then we would always be “standing on the Word of God” when in that space.  It is a neat visual.  So, we did that.  Here is our family’s space.






Be on the lookout… two new blogs coming soon… Utah… and Columbus!!

No comments: