Saturday, November 17, 2018

Trick or Treat

I know it is mid-November, but I still think it is worth posting about Halloween.  This year, I used the blog to look back on all the costumes my kids had been every year.  It was a fun journey from cows, pumpkins, purple dinosaurs/monsters to ballerinas, turtles, and flower fairies to name a few. 

This year, Madison originally wanted to be a Native American.  She saw soem fabric with a Navajo style print and really liked it.  I felt a bit of a dilemma – was this cultural appropriation? did I care since her intent was non-malicious?  Ugh. So. Much. Thinking.  To top it off, Ellie picked to be a cowgirl.  Now, I had a cowgirl and “Indian,” which made it worse.  Lucky for me, the topic of Native Americans came up in a discussion with Madison and we were talking about how the pioneers treated them and took their land.  She said, “We did that to them?  I don’t think I want to be a Native American anymore.”  Dilemma solved by my sensitive soul. 

So, what did they go as?

Trick-or-Treat #1 – Gettysburg Area

Madison was invited to a birthday party with an extended inviation to families to come trick-or-treat afterwards.  Although it was a bit misty, Ellie really wanted to go to walk house to house.  Madison went as a witch.  Ellie as a cowgirl.  (Not super excited to take a picture at her big girl birthday party with her little sister…)

IMG_5788

There was a large group of girls who piled in and out of the covered pick-up, while the parents walked behind enjoying their time as well. 

IMG_5779  IMG_5783

IMG_5781

Trick-or-Treat #2 – Living Water Church

This is the one we do every year.  It is a trunk or treat in that (usually) the cars are decorated in themes and people pass out candy.  With the rain, they moved the event indoors.  It was still nice, just a little crowded!  This time Madison went as a gypsy.  Ellie went as a cowgirls. 

IMG_5790     IMG_5792

Grandma Yoh joined us.

IMG_5791

And we visited Grandma and Grandpa afterwards at their house.

IMG_5796

No comments: