Saturday, December 13, 2008

Crazy Week

It has been over a week since I blogged. For those who check daily, I apologize. This week has been crazy. It started Saturday. If you recall it snowed last Saturday. ODOT did not think that they needed to treat the roads; Jeremy and I wanted to go to my staff party down south. We headed slowly, but surely down I-270. We started counting vehicles in the ditch, spun the wrong direction, or otherwise impaired. We were at 17 by the time we reached our destination about 25 miles from home. We looked around the ceramics studio of the woman hosting (an art teacher at the school). She had some great stuff. They also had a small Christmas tree farm. We decided to pick up a tree. (Side note: One of the people in our small group is teaching a boy whose family is transitioning out of homelessness. Their apartment had nothing but an air mattress in it. We collected furniture, blankets, pillows, pots, pans, etc to give them. We thought it would be fun for them to have some Christmas decorations and gifts as well. The tree went to them.) We strapped on the tiny tree and headed out about 4pm. We made it about 8 miles or so traveling at about 35 mph on 33N (near Hamilton Road at Ricart Ford, for those that know the area) when we hit a slick spot in the road. We started to spin to the left; Jeremy corrected the vehicle, but instead of pointing forward we continued traveling around in a clockwise circle. The truck (Toyota Tundra) behind us could not stop and we collided with them. It spun both of our vehicles into the space between the highway and an entrance ramp; that was a blessing from God because we were out of the way of oncoming traffic. Both vehicles did not look great and were not driveable. All four passengers in their truck and we were okay - no injuries. I think it was because we were driving slowly - and God was with us. A random tow truck was driving by and felt sorry for us since it dark and cold and we had a Christmas tree on our roof. They towed both vehicles to their collision shop which was also a rental car facility. So, right now, Jeremy is driving a "sweet" Suzuki Forenza. We learned on Thursday that both vehicles are going to be considered a total loss. Apparently, in addition to the bumber, grill, and hood being damaged on ours, the frame was cracked as well. We received a decent sum of money from insurance to go car hunting. The process will begin today!

I had Parent Teacher Conferences on Tuesday night. That is a bad day to have conferences because you have so many days of the week left to go. I was at school for 13 hours that day. One of my conferences of the night was really hard. There are a lot of issues with the family that explain a lot of what my student is going through. We rescheduled to follow up them for a longer conversation and look at ways to get them help. The next day things spiraled out of control, and the situation just got worse. I can't go into detail, but please pray in general for families. There are a lot of families that don't see the holidays as a joyful time, but one of lonliness and disappointments. It makes me more thankful for my relationship with my family and a God who will never disappoint me.

The week just continued to be stressful as we waited for news on our car and tried to make decisions. I have been more optimistic than I anticipated, which is also a blessing. I have one more week of school, and Jeremy has one more week of latch-key work before we are off for Christmas break. We are looking forward to going to my family's Christmas celebration this coming weekend. Then, enjoying Christmas Eve and Day with the Yoh's and the Bricker's. I hope that each of you will take time to enjoy family and the blessing of our Lord and Savior during this Christmas season. (And I will try to blog a few times this week!)

1 comment:

Claire said...

Sad!! I feel like my car got in an accident. Good memories with the four runner :(