Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Cookies

I decided to whip up some Christmas cookie dough on Friday.  We had all been having our share of whatever bug is going around and are finally on the mend.  I thought we would be ready for some Chrsitmas festivities.  What I didn’t count on is how impatient a 2 year old is when she knows that there is cookie dough in the fridge, and she wants to be frosting cookies.  I cannot count how many times in about 2 hours she asked if we could frost cookies.  I finally relented, and we rolled and cut the cookies out before and after supper.  I was just going to do this all tomorrow, but decided to just do it so they would be ready to frost on Saturday.  So, we rolled and cut.  I wondered as we did this why, without fail, she felt the need to take a perfectly rolled slab of cookie dough and demolish it with one giant cookie right in the middle?  I must admit, I had to start directing her cookie cutting strategy.  (Hey, you can only roll the dough so many times before it gets tough!) 

DSC_0947  DSC_0948

The cookies turned out great!

DSC_0949

Saturday morning she woke up, eagerly asking – you guessed it – when can we frost the cookies?  So, after breakfast I mixed up frosting, got out the cookie sheets to contain mess, rummaged around for my sprinkles, and dug out some plastic knives.  And I let her loose.  I may have issues with how she cut her cookies, but I have no advice for how she frosts her cookies.  (Let it be known that I really don’t like frosting anything… I think, although pretty, it is tedious, and my cake/cupcakes/cookies/etc taste just as delicious without it.)  So, frost away, Madison, I say!  She did a great job… .and she took her job very seriously.  Here are her first strokes of frosting:

DSC_0953     DSC_0954

And her first cookie completed:

DSC_0955

Ellie jumped in on the action after she woke up from her nap (not really helpful, but still..)

DSC_0958  DSC_0959

Still working:

DSC_0973

Her last cookie (yeah, that’s a bunny she needed to cut out…):

DSC_0977

Finished products:

DSC_0983

No comments: