Final Advent post…
Day 17: Celebrate with the Edigers. See previous post for details.
Day 18: Watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn. We watched Prep and Landing. There were two 20 minute features. I really enjoyed them. It was about these elves who prepare the house for Santa to enter and the roof for the landing strip. Both features are pretty cute.
Day 19: Stuff and stamp Christmas cards. Truthfully, I mostly put this on there so I am motivated to get this done each year. Since we didn’t take the official picture til Day 17, I didn’t have time to actually have it all ready to go by this day. Ellie and I did go get the stamps for the cards. I worked on this project by myself, even though the girls usually don’t mind putting the stickers on (labels and stamps). The girls were playing with antlers and exclaiming how cool they were, so I snapped a quick picture!
Also, on Day 19, my dad had back surgery. I should know the number, I think it his 6th back surgery. He has been in severe pain since early October. We are hoping this surgery will bring back some mobility so he can get back to doing some things that brought him joy, and gave him the opportunity to minister to others. The surgery was as successful as they could have hoped. We will see how the healing progresses and where we are at 6 months from now. Please be in prayer for him.
Also on Day 19, Jeremy’s mom moved into her new home. The movers loaded and unloaded two trucks of furniture and boxes. Jennifer flew in to help Gloria unpack enough to be settled in time for Christmas. There will still be work to do, but this was a huge start.
Day 20: Eat snowman pancakes for supper. This one is anticipated all year long. I think it is because they get to put candy on their pancakes. It is a fun meal…and easy to do.
Also on Day 20, Madison celebrated Grinch Day in 1st grade. They could either wear green for the Grinch or dress up as a person in Who-ville. I found some stellar clothes for her to wear from MCC Connections, and a fantastic hairstyle to complete the outfit. She was adorable.
Day 21: Look at Christmas lights. We took a walk around the lights down the road from us. It is a fun stop and easy to do. One year, we will have to venture to bigger things like Akron Zoo or Stan Hywet.
Day 22: Make Cookies. They like this one, and they are getting good at it. So good, in fact, that it doesn’t take as long as I think it will. I made a double batch this year, and it made 50 cut-outs. I think it was about the perfect amount.
Day 23: Decorate cookies. They enjoy this even better than cutting out the cookies. Again, they are getting good at it. I don’t really like frosting anything, so I am glad they enjoy it. This year they were creative – adding different colors to the same cookie, drizzling the icing, and sprinkling in patches. It is fun to watch.
Day 24: Go to the Christmas Eve service. While we would do this regardless, it is a special time. The church was very full this year. The music was worshipful. Madison sang in the children’s choir. Both girls enjoyed being able to wear their Christmas dresses.
Day 25: Celebrate Christmas with your family. See next post.
And that was the Advent season. I will continue this tradition as they get older. Maybe as they age, I will have them come up with additional ideas and then put them in the calendar randomly to surprise them. I would encourage families to use Advent to be intentional about being a family, serving those in the community, and creating memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment