Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Big Changes for a Small Dog

Pepper’s hair had been unruly for awhile.  It was matted basically everywhere you touched.  It made me feel like I didn’t know how to care for my dog.  And maybe I don’t because I really don’t love brushing him.  The groomer said it might just be because he is non-shedding that when his hair gets loose, it has nowhere to go.  Apparently, it just sticks to him and forms pseudo-dreadlocks. 

Not only was it all a matted mess, it was a pain to take him outside.  I would take him for a walk on a fairly dry day, and he would come back with cinders from the road embedded in his fur on his legs and belly.  I would take him out to take care of business and snowballs, leaves, sticks, and other miscellaneous stuff would come back in with him as if he were a sheet of velcro.  It led to a trail of leaves in the house.  Baths after every walk.  It was exhausting. 

Finally, after weeks, I gave in and bit the bullet.  I took him for a total makeover.  (It’s not cheap.  It is more than I spend on my own personal grooming, which is why I held off for so long.)

He went from this:

To this!

He is easy to care for, about 10 pounds lighter, and harder to spot when he curls up in a ball.  But it is good.

No comments: