Sunday, October 18, 2020

The Ark

We took a trip to Kentucky last weekend.  It was the last of a series of super busy weekends we had had.  But we decided to go anyway.  Jeremy’s cousin’s son was getting married.  His cousin, aunt, and uncle from Florida were coming and his aunt and uncle from Ft. Wayne would be there as well.  It was an outdoors wedding at the home of the soon-to-be-married couple.  We felt relatively safe. 

We risked a trip to The Ark Encounter on our way there on Friday.  There were a couple factors we thought might work in our favor: 1) there may be less people because of stuff going on, 2) both kids were free this year, 3) our ticket online included a meal voucher, and 4) the ark is a big place. 

We got there about 2:30.  There was a short bus ride to the ark.  The ark is massive.  I mean, you think you know that it is big, but, man… it is BIG!! 

    

And it all fits.  I liked this graphic of what could have possibly been on the ark, as well as a comparison of the ark to other well-known boats.  It is incredibly how God designed it.  The other startlingly fact is that they estimated it took Noah 500 years to build the ark.  I mean I guess I missed that while reading the Bible.  Seriously, how do you continue to believe that what you are doing is what you are supposed to be doing for 500 YEARS!!  I have a hard time trusting God for 5 minutes sometimes. It is a true testament to the faith of Noah.

Once inside a majority of people were wearing masks, although I will admit it was not perfect.  We stayed out of the more cramped exhibits for that reason.  They had depictions of life at various times.

They had small cages and smaller cages that were stacked on top of each other with animal sounds in that area.  They had larger cages with different kinds of animals in them – reproductions of what the animal may have looked like based on historical records, fossils, and some imagination. 

There were larges vessels that may have held water and grain lining the walls.  The cages showed intricate ideas of how the animal waste may have funneled down gutter-like systems to make clean up better.  There were catwalks above the cages that could have allowed for Noah and his family to access the watering bowls and filled them in all the cages in an effective way.  There were three levels sprawling the entire span of the ark. 

I liked this HUGE door.  I could just imagine how final it sounded to Noah as he shut it after loading the animals, and how good it felt the day he opened it to dry land. 

    

The girls most enjoyed the top floor where they had a representation of what the sleeping/living quarters may have been like.  They picked out favorite bedrooms, looked at the kitchen area, and saw that there could have been an indoor greenhouse area to grow more food with the skylights of the boat. 

They also had a small zoo on the premises.  It was pretty sad though because there were no animals out except the kangaroo.  I am assuming they had “put them away” for the winter???  We did see part of a presentation where they brought out some animals – a rat, a potbelly pig, and this cute sugar glider.

We ate our “free” food, which was much more tasty than I imagined it was going to be.  And headed out by 6ish.  I think you could spend much more time than this, but it was sufficient as well.  They have well-known speakers come and do presentations.  We skipped the one that happened while we were there because it was 1-1/2 hours, and we didn’t know how much time we would need for the ark. 

Overall, I would say it is worth going to if you are in the area. 

No comments: