Saturday, December 7, 2024

Marching Band

Madison had a hard decision when choosing classes for her freshman year of high school.  As she wrote down the required courses and the lunch period and the flex period (required) and the study hall she wanted, she realized she had very little left for electives – Spanish, art, choir, band, financial literacy (required, but not freshman year). 

Jeremy and I initially told her she had to do band.  We had both been in marching band; Jeremy even played in college.  While neither us were serious band geeks, we did both enjoy our time in band.  Marching band for me was a social time – I had great friends that were in it with me, and I got to go to all the football games.  I wasn’t really good at what I did, and I probably defiled the uniform with my cheerleading antics on the sidelines and lack of seriousness, but I did actually try my best and don’t regret my participation.  Jeremy would probably say many of the same things – he enjoyed his friends in the band, going to games, and memories created.  Triway percussion even created a cadence that was dedicated to him, a trombone player, that they still use today!  He was better at playing and marching than I was (I mean, we didn’t actually have a conversation about this, but I know my skills). 

All that to say, we thought she should do it, too. 

But then she had all these other great options.  (And to be fair, I didn’t do band AND choir, so it wasn’t a fair comparison.)

So, we told her it was up to her. 

She mulled over it for awhile.  We said, it wasn’t a decision that would make or break high school for her.  There was no right or wrong choice.  Just decide whether to try it or not.  She chose to try it. 

And I think there were things she did really enjoy – meeting new friends, hanging out with some of her friends that did do band, the experience itself (just being able to have it), learning to march on a field. 

   

A unique experience performing at the Jackson Band Show.  Some really fun performances by other schools, too.  Bandorama, the Wayne County version, was canceled this year due to rain.  This show had beautiful weather!

And I think there were things she didn’t really enjoy – the busy-ness that band created when paired with volleyball at the high school level, the Friday night requirement of going to games when she would have rather just had a night off, the cold temperatures, wearing the orange band shirt.

I think she is leaning towards not participating in marching band next year.  Not because it was awful, but because she would like to continue with choir and add in some art classes.  I am glad she tried it and had the experience.  I am also fine with her doing something different than I did.

So proud of you, Madison, for your willingness to try new things and make decisions. 

No comments: