Thanksgiving break started on Tuesday after school. Jen (Jeremy’s sister) had arrived in town that weekend, and we were able to spend time with her. She noticed there was a concert at Central Christian on Tuesday night, so we went to check it out. It was the Walking Roots band, a fairly laid-back bluegrass/folk band. While it wasn’t what I would have chosen to do (mostly because I was just wore out!), it was relaxing and enjoyable. Sometimes it is good to push outside of what you think you can handle.
Wednesday was a lot of preparation time – groceries, mashed potatoes prep, a quick trip to MCC Connections (for no reason), and setting up the kids’ craft section for the sale the next day. Ellie was a big help and enjoyed organizing it. (Madison was a youth group and couldn’t help.) Jason (Jeremy’s brother) also got into town late Wednesday night.
Then, on Thursday, we headed to church for the worship service. I love this service – people sharing things they are grateful for, ways they have seen God work, and singing songs of praise. It is a meaningful time to center yourself for the day. The auction was a lot of fun as usual. I had the joy of bidding on an item for someone else in the congregation. It was fun to spend someone else’s money, but also know you had a target amount you could spend. Often when I bid, I just keep going until I get uncomfortable and then I stop. So, it was fun to just know the stopping point. It was a record-breaking sale – over $18,000! Sandy and Ellie’s annual photo together. Jeremy and Hank holding up the quilt Steph M had made; it was beautiful. And Jeremy taking care of the doll up for auction from his mom’s collection.
Afterwards, we went to my parents for thanksgiving feasting. Jennifer and Jason were able to join the family this year. Things seemed to be going well – food, conversation, fun. And then they weren’t. Jeremy got up to go to the kitchen. We thought he was getting a second helping; later, he explained he had been feeling light-headed and went out for fresh air. At any rate, he passed out on the kitchen floor. His pulse was low (like upper-50s) and he was pretty gray. After laying for awhile, we tried to have him sit up, but he kinda turned gray again. Since he didn’t seem to be able to stay upright, we decided to call for an ambulance to transport him to the hospital to check things out.
By the time he got there, he had regained his color and was feeling much better. Nonetheless, they did all the tests – chest X-ray, EKG (I think), swabs for COVID and RSV, bloodwork, and an ultrasound of his liver, kidney, gall bladder, and pancreas. Everything seemed to be checking out fine, so they released him (and me, who was sitting with him), to go home with a heart monitor in place for 3 days.
The girls were in good hands with family. Luke brought them to the hospital to just see Jeremy and know that he was doing okay.
The evening wrapped up quickly after that. I think the afternoon was a good time for everyone, but I don’t know if I ever really even asked…
We are thinking it was a result of a cold he had been fighting, paired with the cold medicine he had just taken, the little breakfast he had, and the lack of liquids he had drank that morning. Hoping we find rest over the holidays.
We spent our Sunday afternoon at the movie theater watching Wicked, Part 1. It is a musical precursor to The Wizard of Oz. It had had a lot of advertising and build up. The girls really wanted to see it, and so did Jennifer and Jeremy. So, we reserved our seats early and then enjoyed the comfort of our reclining chairs. The movie was worth all the hype and the 2 hours, 40 minutes of seat time. We cannot wait until NEXT November when part 2 comes out!
No comments:
Post a Comment