Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Great Sand Dunes

Saturday, we (Jeremy, Jeff, Kendra, and me) took advantage of the beautiful day that we had to go to The Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. It is about 30 square miles of sand dunes. We hardly glimpsed them. I don't know who of you have actually hiked hills of sand before, but it is not easy. The tallest dune is 804 feet. We took off intending to reach the summit of High Dune, which is about 750 feet. The sign gave an estimated round trip time of two hours. I think that we made it about halfway up. We hiked, sucked air, and crawled up dune after dune for about 40 minutes. It is hard; I know I already said it, but every step up you take, you slide about halfway back down. Yikes! It was still fun. The sun was out; there was a gentle breeze; and it was neither too hot nor too cold. (My hood is up in the pictures because my ears were cold from the wind, but otherwise, I was sweating.) The picture on the left is of me, Kendra, and Jeff on the top of one dune. The picture to the right is Jeremy sitting on the top of a dune with the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the background. The picture on the bottom left is of a steep embankment of one of the dunes. You can see people in the background if you enlarge it; note how small they are! The other picture is Jeremy approaching the dunes in what I call the "lonely picture." It was a great time for us. I think we will go back and conquer High Dune to enjoy the vista that awaits from there.

1 comment:

JudyBright said...

I was just thinking about sand dunes the other day and how cool they must look in person, like you're on another planet or something.

I really was.