Friday, September 26, 2008

Work, Work, Work

So, this was interim week at school, which means that it is halfway through the first nine weeks. I can't believe how quickly it is going. I guess it probably helps that we didn't attend school for almost a full week! This week went so quickly. It was our first full week of the year; we had one other full day week, but we had a late arrival day in there. I am feeling like I have a better hold on school stuff now. I still stress over stuff - is this IEP right? am I getting to my students enough? are the kids understanding anything I am teaching? I don't know if the answer is yes to all of those, but I don't feel as frazzled as I did for the past 4 weeks. I had my first IEP meeting today. The parents were great - chatty, but great. They are very supportive and genuine in their questions and concerns. It went well. I enjoy - more times than not - meeting and talking with the parents. I guess this is a good thing. We have parent teacher conferences this coming week. I have 2 IEPs and 2 parent conferences; this will be the busiest parent teacher conference of my last two years for sure! We played Jeopardy in my classes today for review. It went really well; the kids work so hard getting their brains wrapped around this science information. We'll see how the test goes on Monday.

Jeremy has had an exciting week. On Wednesday, his work life began. First, he had training for the YMCA latch key program both in the morning and afternoon. Then, his mom and dad came in the evening for dinner and work talk. Jeremy is also doing some part-time work for his dad's business, The Shepherd's Guide. Then, Thursday he officially started with kids at the before/after school program. He was there in the morning from 7 - 8:45 and at a different elementary in the afternoon from 3 - 6:15. In between, he met with Nick (the youth pastor at our church). Jeremy is again helping with youth group. At the Sunday morning youth group time, The Awakening, he is going to have a segment called "The Yoh Show". It should be a lot of fun. Because of this, Jeremy is going to meet with Nick on Thursdays. Today, he had the before and after school times again. I think the K-5 age group has the potential to really wear him out! He has some good stories and likes to tell me how cute I would think the kids are - I think he thinks they are cute, too! He plays the game Stratego in the morning and tether ball in the afternoon. Tetherball even earned him an injury on Thursday! :) Tonight, Jeremy is working the Saving Jane concert - a free concert to welcome the OSU students to school. He will be gone until late tonight. Tomorrow, he is working security for the OSU football game. Oh, yeah, his online classes through Columbus State started this week also! Whew, it makes me exhausted just typing it. I am very proud of the work he is doing and how he is juggling his time.

Well, that's it. I have no big plans for this weekend, except making a sample poster for the Element Family Project my students will do next week. I hope everyone has a relaxing weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erin,

It sounds like you're adjusting to life back in Ohio okay, and back to teaching. I think we all forget how tiring teaching is until we get back into it! I know I felt the same way last year when I went back in January, and this year returning in August. It takes me a while to get back into the swing of things. And, Adam and I love to play games, so don't you worry about your game nights. We actually call them "Kime Family Game Night" and we make popcorn and play a different game. Adam usually lets me win. Maybe he should talk to Jeremy:). Enjoy your weekend. I enjoyed reading your Blog, but I'd still like to see you in person! Laura