Thursday, October 8, 2009

Funny Things

Some days I come home from work and tell Jeremy the "question of the day" from my students or the funniest thing I heard. Here are a few from this week...
1. When learning the cell theory (all living things have cells, all things have one or many cells, and all cells come from cells), I had some questions.. One student, figuring all things had cells and therefore all have the same structure, asked, "Do ants have hearts?" Honestly, I had no idea, nor have I ever thought about it. I said, "I think they have a circulatory system, so they must have a heart, but I really have no clue." (Here is the answer, in case you are wondering: The heart - the ants heart is a long tube.It pumps a whiteish blood from the abdomen to the brain.The blood spills out over the brain and oozes through the body to the abdomen.It then reenters the heart.As the blood flows, it nourishes the cells in the antennae,leg muscles,and other organs.) Also, along the cell theory in regards to the third part (all cells come from cells), one student said, "Where did the first cell come from?" Great question, and one I had no answer to. I simply said, "I have no idea." The truth being that God had created what we now know as cells and therefore the first cell came from God, but public schools don't allow for that.

2. Today, I went into a room to talk to a teacher about a student. She said, "Oh, look at your belly!" I hear a group of boys quietly carry on this dialogue in the back of the room: "There's a lot of pregnant teachers here." to which the reply came, "They're getting a lot of action!" I must say I NEVER thought of even THINKING that about my teachers when I was in school. It made me giggle to myself though :)

3. The other day, a student said, "Does it hurt when your baby moves?" My response, "No" "Well, what does it feel like? Does it feel like an alien is in your belly?" "Ummm... yes, I guess it does kinda feel like an alien is in my belly." The next day..."Do you still feel the alien in your belly?" Yes, now on to cells....

4. When learning that a scientist discovered that only animals come from animals and plants from plants.... I explained how we already know that. Animals can't come from plants - we are just as smart as that scientist! One student raised his hand and said, "I was reading on the internet about a woman who got pregnant from a horse? Is this possible?" I explained that this could not be true considering only animals of the same species can breed and humans are not the same species as horses, and this could not be true. I also said that it is easy to read things on the internet and believe they are true, but not all of it is true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wait till your little alien has all kinds of questions.

Love
MOM