This is a very big event in this town. If I were I tourist, I would not visit during this time. But I am also the kind of tourist that hates crowds and traffic and big “events” to go to. So, maybe if I were a different kind of tourist that wanted the full experience and to see lots of Amish and other country folk and didn’t mind the cars and congestion on a small block in a small town, I would come to visit. At any rate, it occupied our evenings as people dropped things off. Madison and Jeremy went one night to see the machines when we saw my brother dropping off his jeep for the auction. The next time she and Jeremy went again to talk with his uncle, David, and Grandpa about what was good. Then, the next day, we went once in the morning because Madison just loves being in the center of things – where the action is – and once again when Jeremy was working. That is an intro and the pictures will give you glimpses into what went on.
There were lots of little items for auction, lined up in rows, where groups of people would move with the auctioneer to get the best price. There was also a lot of farm implements and tractors. Can you guess what doesn’t belong in this line up?
Yep, you guessed it… the tiny stroller. Madison thought the big tractors were cool and even asked to sit on one. (Actually, more than one, but we only had so much time before Ellie had to take a morning nap.)
Ellie preferred the trailers where she didn’t have to balance on a seat out of my reach.
Jeremy worked in a food trailer where my church youth group has worked for many, many years. He manned the french fry station – my old stomping grounds. Although greasy, it is not a bad gig. My brother, Ben, manned the grill and as another church member (John) commented the “chatter box”. The youth use it as a fundraiser for mission trips and other activities. It was hard to get a good shot, but if you look in the little window, you can see him hard at work. My brother is in the green shirt in the other picture.
And that was what I photographed. I did not take the trains of Amish buggies holding up traffic or the field turned parking lot behind our house or the random few people that walked right through our yard as a short cut. You get the idea. Overall, it was a good time, and maybe I would recommend to a tourist….
No comments:
Post a Comment