This was a whirlwind week for us that ended with Christmas at my mom and dad’s, but that will be a second post. The girls continue to be excited about the Advent calendar. They wake up wondering if it is their day to “poke the hole.” (Madison has odd numbers; Ellie has even.) So, what have we done?
On Monday, we cut out Christmas cookies. We ended up not doing this until the evening, so Jeremy helped out. In the morning, we had a fantastic playdate with the Clarks. The girls played well together, and Rachael and I enjoyed talking. After lunch, we made sock snowmen (and snowgirls); they now sit next to each of the girls’ beds. Back to the cookies…. Madison could almost do the work by herself; I just needed to help roll out the dough.
Jeremy and Ellie teamed up at rolling and cutting; Ellie tended to squeeze the cookie cutter creating some very slender cut-outs.
On Tuesday, we frosted the cookies. Madison stuck with red, green, and white frosting, while Ellie had blue and yellow. They did a great job. I just give them bowls of frosting and access to sprinkles, and let ‘em go. It is not as messy as it sounds. It is mostly contained on a cookie sheet. And surprisingly, they do not lick their fingers, but do wipe them on a damp cloth. (It does require admonishment in the beginning.)
On Wednesday, they played all day at Grandma and Papa Yoh’s house while I subbed. We made homemade hot chocolate as our activity. They learned that it is more than just a packet of stuff, which is good.
On Thursday, we attended a Christmas program at the elementary school to see the cousins preform. It was a great program – and even spoke the Truth about Christmas!
On Friday, we went to the library. While this is not anything out of the ordinary for us, the girls were supposed to specifically pick out some Christmas books and movies. The movies helped get us out of the Elmo and princess movie rut – yea for that!!!
On Saturday, we had Christmas at my parent’s house. The activity was to make a craft. I am pretty sure this did not get accomplished, but they had enough fun they didn’t really need a specific activity this day.
On Sunday, we attended Christmas party. We took them with us to the youth group party. We had a lot of fun there – dressed in festive wear we played Minute to Win It style games and opened prizes (aka “gifts”). I think the girls had fun watching cookies slide down faces, kleenex be ripped out of boxes, and rubber bands shot across the room. (They were not so excited that they were not included in the gift part of things.)
Overall, another good week even though there were less pictures to show for it. Christmas is almost here, and while I look forward to it, I think I will miss some of daily excitement we have had.
No comments:
Post a Comment