Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Advent Week #4

Well, we made it.  This week was a little lost in the midst of all the other commotion, but here goes…

Day 22 (Monday) – Make a snowman (inside or outside).  Okay, there was no snow outside.  I had intentions of making a snowman craft out of paper plates with them.  It didn’t happen.  In fact, I have no idea what we did, except end up back at the Yohs for another Meet Theo celebration. 

Day 23 (Tuesday) – Take treats to a local fire department.  We picked to go to Jackson Township where my brother, Luke, works.  It is only semi-local, but it is also staffed 24 hours a day unlike the volunteer departments we have around here.  I had never been to see where Luke worked.  I have no idea why not.  He has worked with the same fire department (at various stations) for years now.  So, I am glad this gave me a concrete reason to go – and take the girls to see it.  We took them some of the Christmas cookies they had made (round two to use of extra frosting), rice krispie treats, and pretzels.  We got to see the whole station – the beds, the kitchen, the living room, the dining room, the bays, and the engines.  I was most fascinated with the beds and the fire pole – Yep, they still have these…. and better yet, they still USE them.  He let the girls get in the truck

DSC_4499DSC_4501    

And he showed them how to go down the pole.  (We left this task to him alone; it was a pretty high pole!)

DSC_4502     DSC_4503

Day 24 (Wednesday) – Go for a winter walk.  Ummm… we didn’t do this.  It was also almost 60F outside and a little drizzly on and off.  No “winter” was in sight.  Madison and Jeremy did go for a more winter-like walk the next day with Jennifer and Arturo.  So, I say it was partially accomplished.  We celebrated Christmas this day with the Yohs; I’ll post about it later.

Day 25 (Thursday) – Act out the Christmas Story – from the Bible, not the movie!  This just didn’t happen.  Although they semi-attempted it the next day when we had part two of our family Christmas. 

Overall, I loved doing this, even if some days we didn’t get the task accomplished.  Jeremy decided this could be our tradition each year.  I imagine some of this would work for many years, but as they get older, we will need to vary it.  I have a list of random acts of kindness that I would like to filter in for another year, but I think they would understand that better as they get older.  Also, I don’t think that we will keep all the tasks the same each year, but many of them are keepers.  So, next year, I hope to be doing my advent postings again. 

And on to birthday celebrations……

No comments: