I am able to go on the 8th Grade Washington DC school trip as a chaperone. While some people think this should be dreaded, I really enjoy it. Here are the perks: 1) I don’t have to cook for 3 days. 2) I get to travel. 3) I see things I maybe missed before on the trip. 4) I get to know the students a little better. 5) I get to know my co-workers better. 6) I only have to be responsible for packing my stuff. 7) I do not have to plan it, strategize about what to do if things go wrong, or be concerned with the details. Here are some non-perks: 1) I end up with a little less sleep. 2) There are occasional attitudes.
So, we leave around 7:30 on the first day in a fancy tour bus.
We end the day with a tour of Gettysburg – the fields where the fighting happened and a tour in one of the historic homes.
Every night, my major responsibility is to make sure my rooms of girls are in their rooms, and I have their phones. This year, I collected 16 of them. My roommate collected 12. Plus our phones. We had 30 phones charging in our room. Yep, that’s a lot of charging going on.
Then, we wake up (kinda early) to leave for DC on the second day. This day is packed full. I logged 8.75 miles on my iPhone pedometer! We see memorials, monuments, buildings, and museums.
We end this night with a dinner cruise with other schools on board. It looks so serene on the top deck….
…filled with jr. high students. And I didn’t even get a picture (or maybe audio would be better) of the dance party going on below deck.
This is a late night! The next day we wake up early again head back to DC to see some more things before leaving by about 1pm for home. We get in between 9-10pm to the school. And wake up to teach the next day…
No comments:
Post a Comment