Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Advent #4

While I have other things to post, I am going to finish up with the advent theme.  So, here goes…
Day 22 – Take treats to Jackson Fire Department where my brother works.  This did not happen today (is there a theme?) because I hadn’t preplanned with Luke.  Instead we just relaxed.  The girls have been enjoying their time together over break.  I have been enjoying their time together to because 1) it is fun to watch them play, and 2) I can get a lot of things done!  For instance, between Monday and Tuesday of this week, I reorganized their rooms, straightened and cleaned the house, and got lists ready for Christmas.
Day 23 – Eat cream sticks at the Dutch Kitchen.  These are, hands down, my favorite cream sticks.  I don’t indulge often, but if I do this is the place I would go.  Since I am the one making the advent calendar, this gets put on it!  The girls – and Jeremy – don’t complain either!  We did this one.  I had a Bavarian cream cream stick; the others had the traditional filling.  It was a good breakfast as a family.  This afternoon, we also ventured out to pass out our Christmas cookies to our neighbors.  Ellie had a traumatic experience running off the neigbor’s porch to get away from a super sweet dog that surprised her; she survived.  We had an enjoyable time visiting with Myrle down the street and with Arlene, the previous owner of our home.  I can’t count the number of times Madison turned to me and said, “This is so much fun!”  It made my heart happy.
Day 24 – Make snowmen.  No snow – no snowmen.  (To be honest, I had an indoor snowman craft as an alternative, but we found better things to do.)  We went to visit Luke at the fire station today.  We took my dad and Lilli (Luke’s daughter) with us. 
IMG_0598
He gave us the behind the scenes tour of this firehouse.  It was a different one from last year and is much smaller.  They even were able to get in the ambulance
IMG_0603     IMG_0605
and on the fire truck. 
IMG_0606     IMG_0607
We were going to peek in the cab of the fire truck, but the tones dropped, and we were able to watch them get out the door and to a call in record time. 
IMG_0608     IMG_0609
Day 25 – There is no need for an activity.  We finally made it to Christmas.
Overall, we had a great time this year.  It was busier than last year with school competing for our time.  But we still had fun, spent time as a family, and reached out to others.  I might try something a little different next year; I need to think about how to tweek it exactly. 
Still coming… Christmas celebrations and miscellaneous post.  I need to get these done before the end of the year!

No comments: