Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Advent Season

Last year we started a tradition with the girls.  We made an advent calendar.  Each day, there was not only a piece of candy, but a special activity they would do that day.  Most of these are coordinated with things we would do during this time anyways and places we will go.  There are a few things that are extra – making an ornament, family game night, and such.  I did the toilet paper calendar again.  I layered it with newspaper first this year, and it is much sturdier.  However, I found an advent calendar at Everything Surplus for a steal of a deal yesterday; it has drawers and is super cute.  I will use this next year and the following years.  I am very excited about it. 

Sunday, we went to Grandma and Papa Yoh’s for lunch and to hang out.  The girls helped Grandma hang ornaments on her tree.  They loved it.  Her tree may not be a proportional a normal, but it is put together with love.

DSC_6023     DSC_6024     DSC_6033DSC_6034    DSC_6035     DSC_6037

Yesterday (day 1): We hung the ornaments up at our house.  I have no pictures of this for some reason.  (Oh, yeah, I didn’t get the camera out!)  They each now have a bag of their own special ornaments they have received or collected over their little lives.  So they hung those first.  Let’s just say they like to put ornaments on the very bottom branches… a lot!  Our tree looks good and complete now.

Today (day 2): Gift wrapping at Christian Children’s Home of Ohio (with the youth group).  We have to go anyway, and there would be no time in the day to do anything else.  Plus, they loved doing this last year.  They were super helpers handing tape to the youth.  I think it is good for them to serve and to see kids older than them giving their time and energy to be Christ’s hands and feet. 

No comments: