This is the last installment of Advent Calendar activities for this year.
Day 17 – Making Gingerbread Houses. This was a new addition this year, and it was by request. Thankfully, Jeremy rescued me and my unpreparedness when he found a kit at Bed, Bath, and Beyond while we were shopping. I will say I am not necessarily a fan of this one. It is a bit more complicated than people make it out to be. I had read you should hot glue the house together. I did that, and I was thankful for that tip. We didn't’ have to wait for frosting to dry or hope it would hold. I think it would have held, but it would have been tricky to know how to prop it up while it dried. The girls had fun. Next time, I would let them eat more of the candy decorations… because they are disgusting after they sit there forever!
Day 18 – Wrap presents. The girls enjoy doing this. I do not generally like wrapping gifts, probably because I save it all til the end. They are getting better at it. They helped wrap all the cousin gifts.
Day 19 – Kindergarten Choir Program. Ellie and her class performed at 7:30 on this night. They sang about 8-10 short Christmas songs. She loved the chance to perform again and did a good job. Here she is with her classroom teacher and her music teacher.
Day 20 – Deliver Goodies. This one didn’t happen. We were going to go with the youth group as they visited some people from church and deliver goodies. Because of a switch in choir practice and the annual ice cream party afterwards, we had to opt out. We’ll see if we get anywhere to deliver any later this break.
Day 21 – Cut out Christmas Cookies. We moved this activity to my mom’s house because she is going a bit stir crazy. The girls had fun cutting out cookies of many shapes. The small star was a popular one; I think because they always had a tiny bit of dough left at the end.
Day 22 – Frost Christmas Cookies. I am not sure if they like cutting them out or frosting them better. I do know they were tired before they were done with them this year. They did a great job and some of them were really creative – dripping faces and buttons on the snowmen, swirling colors. Madison’s are on the left piece of wax paper, and Ellie’s are on the right.
Day 23 – Christmas with the Edigers. I will blog on this one in a separate post. It was a good year that started Friday night and ended Saturday night. Fun memories for sure!
Day 24 – Attend the Christmas Eve Program. Half of us made it. Madison started getting a fever late Friday evening. It continued until Sunday night. Just something viral. So, Jeremy stayed home with her, and Ellie and I met Grandma Yoh and Aunt Jen at church for the service. The service was a worshipful experience, filled with a lot of different kinds of musical pieces.
Day 25 – Merry Christmas! (Well, I got whatever Madison had, plus some other symptoms. Our Christmas was just a little more mellow. And mine was fairly solitary. Still not recovered. My house is quiet as the rest are out celebrating with Jeremy’s extended family.)
No comments:
Post a Comment