Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Nutcracker Ballet

The girls have been taking ballet on and off for the past few years.  I guess, Ellie just started ballet last year.  They both wanted to take ballet this fall so they could perform in the Nutcracker through Ballet Wooster.  Madison had performed in Cinderella in Spring 2016, but hadn’t been on stage since then.  Ellie was a bit nervous, but thought it sounded fun. 

So, we had lessons every Wednesday from 4:45-5:45 for Madison from September through December.  And lessons every Saturday from 10:45-11:30 for Ellie.  On top of that, we went to Little Chinese practice (Madison’s part) and Candy Cane practice (Ellie’s part) almost every Saturday in October and November.  It was a commitment that I was unprepared for.  The girls took it in stride until about the last 3 weeks of double duty dance.  Then, we had a few crying fits.  In the end, they would say it was worth it, but they both want to take a break during the next session. 

If you have not seen the Nutcracker ballet somewhere, I would highly recommend going.  I hadn’t gone until Madison went for the first time when she was three years old (I think).  Jeremy’s sister performed in the ballet every other year for years.  As a result, Jeremy has seen it probably more times than he can count.  It is good to do cultural things once in awhile, even things outside of your comfort zone.  So, go, next time you see an advertisement for it; I don’t think you’ll regret it…. especially if you know someone performing!

Behind the Scenes:

One night, I volunteered to watch the Candy Canes – all 12 of them! – backstage while they waited (a ridiculously long time) to perform.  Madison’s group of Little Chinese were in the same room.  Here are some behind the scene looks:

IMG_3893     IMG_3879IMG_3885  IMG_3891IMG_3895  IMG_3901  IMG_3904

The Performance

We weren’t really supposed to take pictures, so I don’t really have many.  I videoed them on the dress rehearsal night, but I missed taking pictures.  Here is what I snuck (without a flash) on performance night.  Madison is the second from the left in purple.  Ellie is to the left of Mother Ginger.

DSC_1568DSC_1571   DSC_1572

Pictures with the Cast

They love to take pictures with performers whenever we have gone to the ballet before or when we went to a high school musical.  This time was no different, except they, too, were in costume.  Here they are with Mother Ginger, Lead Chinese, and Clara.

IMG_3915  IMG_3907  IMG_3917IMG_3923

Pictures with Family and Friends

We were so blessed by so many that came to the ballet.  The girls felt so loved.  And they felt like celebrities – getting flowers, taking pictures, getting hugs!  So, thank you to the many that came to help them feel so very special.  Ken and Lois, all the way from Fort Wayne.  Aunt Jen, all the way from New York City.  Grandma Yoh, a constant supporter.  Great-Aunt Diane, “Cousin” Alyssa, representing the greater Bricker crew.  Grandpa Ediger, surprised by how much he enjoyed the ballet.  (Missing Grandma Ediger due to recovery restrictions)  Aunt Jen and Megan, representing the Ashland family.  Aunt Steph, Sam, and Lilli, who have come at least one other time to see the ballet.  Laura and Teagan, dear friends and a fellow ballerina that was in a different performance of the Nutcracker the following weekend.  Aunt Steph, who represented her otherwise male family unit!  I think that was it. 

IMG_3911  IMG_3913  DSC_1582DSC_1579     DSC_1573IMG_3908 DSC_1576IMG_3909

Farewell, Nutcracker!  Thanks, Ballet Wooster for helping our girls grow in confidence, learn new skills, find joy in newfound culture, and making them into ladies of grace.

DSC_1586

No comments: