Monday, December 31, 2018

Welcome Home, Pepper!

So, we gave in.  I thought we would hold out a little longer.  But each trip to the shelter led to more begging for a pet.  They started asking for guinea pigs and hamsters.  Then, we saw this little guy on facebook looking for a home – born October 8.

IMG_6014

We talked a long time as we headed to Columbus, just Jeremy and I.  We discussed pros and cons.  We called the family to ask questions.  We didn’t know what we should do. 

I headed there on Wednesday night to check out his temperament.  I took back-up.  Second opinions.  My mom and Steph. 

He was adorable.  He didn’t bark.  He didn’t jump.  He stole our hearts.  There was not a unanimous decision, but it did prompt more thought. 

We took the girls to visit him on Thursday.  We decided that if neither of them (especially Ellie) freaked out, then maybe he would be our new addition to the family. 

The girls did a great job.  They both held him.  They walked up to him unworried.  It went so well. 

We said yes.  Ellie could talk of nothing but the dog for days.

We went pet supply shopping on Sunday, and brought him home on Christmas Eve. 

DSC_2742     TUYX2189

He started out pretty mellow.  He hadn’t been housetrained at all, so we are starting from scratch.  It is a learning experience.  I feel like I just had my first kid again and am failing on an hourly basis.  But there are moments when it is going well, too, and I am glad we did this thing. 

IMG_6023      IMG_6130

Madison is pretty confident around him.  Picking him up like he is her personal baby.  She is working on getting him to sit to get a toy. 

   IMG_5662  IMG_6087

Ellie is a little more tentative.  He has started jumping as he has settled in.  She is doing better though, and I think will adapt okay.  Really, she has no choice. 

IMG_6029

He has some toys he loves – a fox and a bear for the win right now.  He goes (fairly) willingly into his crate.  He sleeps all night long (MAJOR win with this one!!).  And he is still super cute. 

No comments: