Monday, June 22, 2026

Ellie–8th Grade Track

Last year of junior high track, and she loved every second.  She has said every year how much she loves track.  I never participated in track, so I can’t really understand the passion for it; however, I am understanding and enjoying it more after 4 years of watching it. 

She focused on high jump, 100 m hurdles, and added 200 m hurdles this year.  She worked hard at high jump, but wasn’t able to break last year’s PR of 4’2”. 

But she created great friendships with the 7th graders who were new to this event!

In the 100 m hurdles, she tried to change from a 5 step rhythm to a 4 step rhythm to speed herself up.  She got it when she practiced with Jeremy, but didn’t feel confident to try it in the meet.  But I think her speed and form showed improvement since last year and over the course of this season.  Her PR was 21.45 seconds which earned her 9th place at WCAL.

Finally, she added the 200 m hurdles which no one was going to do.  Her first meet she was the only girl from either team participating.  As the season progressed, she learned to time the jump, built endurance, and earned better times.  She shaved off about 2 seconds this season, ending with a PR of 38.63 seconds.

We look forward to seeing where she takes her track interests in high school.  Weirdly, I am kinda starting to enjoy it!

No comments: