We started this Christmas on Friday night. I wasn’t the intended start time, but when people heard Nate’s family were heading into town, people started to get anxious (in a good way) about getting together. Mom offered to feed everyone some sloppy joes, and the night was made. So, Friday was short and sweet and a great start to the gathering of cousins.
The itererary was set for Saturday – as it usually is. (If your family function doesn’t run on some type of schedule, I suggest you try it. At least you have an answer when the kids ask if they can have more candy to eat, or when they’ll eat, or what they will eat. You get the point.) We were sharing breakfast together at 9am. On the menu: 2 breakfast casseroles, cinnamon rolls and sticky buns, cherry coffee cake, yogurt parfaits, and various juice/milk/coffee beverages. Everyone arrived on time-ish. And we began the feasting, the talking, the day.
We slowly transitioned from breakfast to picture taking. And here we are in our finery…
Mom and Dad
Nate and Jen’s Family Our family
Luke and Steph’s Family Ben and Steph’s Family
And the grandkids…
But this is what it is really like!
Then, it was time to begin. The girls wondered who would be chosen to read the Christmas story this year. Madison, Ellie, and Megan read last year, and various other cousins in previous years. This year, Grandpa read.
Then, Grandma talked about when Grandpa has a hard night and she has to leave the next morning that she sets out a battery operated tea light lit on the table. This is a sign to Grandpa that he is being prayed for by her while she is at work. The depth of her love for him in the midst of his pain and sickness is a testament to what those “in sickness and health” marriage vows mean. I know sometimes she gets frustrated, confused, and irritated. I know sometimes she is not in the mood to deal with it. I know sometimes she speaks frankly and it doesn’t sound like sympathy or compassion. But I also know that she fights for him, researches options out there, works to understand what is going on. She lifts him up into God’s hands daily and trusts that they will see this through whatever the journey may be. The candle is just a symbol that while she is gone, he is not forgotten. In return, he loves her. I know sometimes he complains and questions and wants to give up. But I also know he desires to be more involved, to help out more, to be who he once was physically. He recognizes that she has taken on more as he has had to give up more. He affirms her work in caring for him. He trusts her. They handed out tea lights to the grandkids so they, too, could set them out when they prayed, if they needed prayer, or just needed to remember that others were praying for them. In doing this, they gave the kids more than tea lights, they gave them an example of marriage, which I think they heard.
Then, it was present time! Grandkids opened gifts from grandparents first. There were lots of smiling faces.
Then, Grandparents opened gifts from families. And, as usual, any item of clothing Grandpa received, had to be tried on right away without delay!
Then, it was stocking time – candy, tiny gifts, a family bowling coupon, matching socks, and the promise of four days at a cabin in Hocking Hills over spring break! Yea!
This picture of Grandpa and Sophie is just a reminder that Grandpa can NOT keep secrets. He let it slip that there was something planned for spring break earlier this month to Sophie; he couldn’t keep a straight face during the whole thing.
We took a lunch break. (Although I don’t know how many of us were actually hungry) On the menu: rib meat, honey mustard chicken, cheesy potatoes, green beans, baked apples, and zwiebach.
Lunch moved into time at the gym. This is a great time. I stuck to volleyball this year after my pinky dislocation during basketball last year. The old ladies (Steph, Steph, Jen, and I) played the young girls (Sophie, Chloe, Lilli, and Grandma). The old ladies won, but it took three games to get them! The boys played some basketball. The younger crew set up a fort to hide in. And to start the day off, we practiced our long buried hula hooping skills. I think Sam won the best hula hooping while walking award – hilarious and impressive!
We returned for a light supper, adult gift exchange, and clean up.
It was a full day – both for our stomachs and our hearts. While I feel blessed to have a family that can share a day together, I realize that others do not. I pray that this season people may be open to the joy found in Christ’s birth and promise of salvation. Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment