My mom invites the girl grandkids over to bake when they turn 9. She teaches them how to primarily bake zwiebach, traditional Russian Mennonite food we eat. It means “double bun” because that is what it is. It is a yeast bread, so it is a longer, more complicated process. They also usually make something else that is quicker – a coffee cake usually. Oh, yeah, it is also an overnighter – by yourself, no siblings welcome, all the attention is on you – time with grandma and grandpa.
Madison was so excited for this day. I dropped her off Friday night (12/13) to start her fun. I don’t know if I got the order of things right, but I think Friday they dipped some Ritz Bitz in white chocolate for Christmas.
They also made tapioca pudding. This was a scientific discovery of where the little balls of tapioca come from when cooked. She made sure to copy down the recipe, so she can make it for us sometime.
Then, Saturday, before Madison had basketball practice, they mixed up the dough for zwiebach.
Learning to knead…
The thumb test – it needs to pop back up when you press down with your thumb. Then you know it is well kneaded dough.
The window test – if it holds to a very thin dough while you stretch, it is good. It shouldn’t tear easily.
While the zwiebach raises a second time, there is time to use the same dough to make cinnamon rolls. Roll out, cover with sugar and cinnamon, roll up, cut evenly, put in pans, let raise, bake.
Then, it’s back to the zwiebach. This is where it gets really tricky – squeezing the little buns out. (I have not mastered it, but I don’t practice much. I also think I never got a lesson at age nine. But my twin brothers were 5 at the time, so that probably explains it.)
Take the cinnamon rolls out, frost them…
and eat them… with the photographer :)
This is the result of all her hard work and patience -
Thank you, Grandma, for making this such a special time for Madison. It teaches them a skill, but more importantly, it is a step in feeling like they are growing up. Thank you for passing on your passion and ability to bake good yeast bread and nurture that love in our children. Thank you, Grandpa, for taking many trips up and down the steps to photograph the day’s events. It is so nice to be able to share in the experience. It helped Madison feel loved, plus she has a tangible gift to look back on the day and remember the steps, as well as the memories. We love you both!
2 comments:
We love you, too :)
... And, no, I don't think I ever had a baking day with you like this -- so sorry:(
(We can still do it if you want -- you can even spend then night!!!)
P.S. (and looking at all the pictures of out time together, no wonder I was so tired. Madison was such a trooper, hanging in there till the end and even making her "Recipe Book"
MOM
Post a Comment