Saturday, September 28, 2013

Jeremy’s Birthday

A working mother sometimes needs to call in back-up to provide a surprise cake (or any cake really) for a birthday celebration on a weekday.  So, I called down the street to Alinn.  We have visited with her and her kids and had their family over for pie one night.  In these conversations, I learned that she makes cakes – real cakes with the fondant creations and layers of extravagant frosting.  I thought, “It will be much easier to walk the four or five houses down the street and pick up a cake than to manage a trip to Buehlers.”  And I was right. 

The problem… Wednesday night of that week was CRAZY!  It was Salem’s first Serve and Fellowship night, and I really wanted to go and support that.  It was a late night of work for Jeremy.  It was tractor pull night at the county fair… with free tickets from the Yohs.  It was anything but a perfect night for a party.  So, we put it off.

Thursday night would have worked, but a group of girlfriends had already scheduled a dinner out.  And I would have passed up the dinner, but it has been MONTHS since I have done something with a group of girls.  Occasionally, Sandy and I will venture out to do something, but this was different.  And I really needed to have that time.  It had been MONTHS…. oh, did I already say that?

So, Friday night – two nights after picking up a beautiful, two layer, white, homemade cake with chocolate buttercream frosting with the words Happy Birthday, Jeremy written on top – we indulged in a little birthday celebration.  It was delicious.  It was worth the wait of spending time as a family and not cramming it into a moment within chaos.  It was good.

DSC_2537     DSC_2538

DSC_2539

And we enjoyed that cake for a week… (Seriously, if you live in my area and need someone to bake a cake, she is excellent; just give me a call, and I’ll hook you up.)

As a belated gift (see this is one benefit of blogging a long time after an event), Jeremy used our Visa points to buy a grill.  Our last one was dead when we moved.  So, he used the grill to make us a steak and hot dog meal one night.  It was delicious because 1) I did not cook it, and 2) I did not cook it.

DSC_2546

No comments: